What's it all about?

What's it all about?

I love cooking, and more importantly, eating good food and I set up this blog to share my favourite recipes, links and ideas with my friends and family.

I am a home cook. Not a particularly distinguished or accomplished one, but someone who simply enjoys honest, fresh and delicious food. I don’t enjoy pretentious restaurants and 'over done' dishes- the kind that you are afraid touch to with your fork for fear of ruining them! And for this reason, every recipe you find here will be simple and open to interpretation. I also believe it’s important to put your own stamp on the food you make so please feel free to change things and substitute ingredients as you wish. Enjoy!

23 August 2010

back from the seaside!

Just got back from a week in Cornwall so there will be a few new posts to come in the next few days.

We stopped in at Margot's restaurant in Padstow last tuesday (I say stopped in, we had to book 2 months in advance to get an evening table!!) and had an epic feast in the form of their taster menu. Five courses of Michelin starred food (six really- they threw in an extra as were regulars!), plus a couple of drinks each came in at under £80 for two people- that is what I call value for money! the service was outstanding and the atmosphere warm and welcoming as always.

We had espresso sized portions of creamy fish soup; fat, sweet juicy scallops with crisp parma ham and a lemon dressing; a gorgeously mild, yet smoky, risotto of wild mushrooms, spinach and bacon; I had a huge portion of tender roast guinea fowl with spring onion mash plus fresh vegetables for mains; the worlds best sticky toffee pudding; a local cheese board with homemade bread; and finally coffee and hand made petit fours.

 If you're down that way, book in for lunch or dinner (see my favourite links), I cant recommend this place highly enough.

We also made a few visits to Bre-Pen farm which is situated on the headland between Watergate bay (where Jamie Oliver has a restaurant) and the little village of Mawgan Porth- Bre-Pen farm. Having spent nearly every summer in the area for the last 25 years, I feel well qualified to say that Jill makes the best cream teas in Cornwall. Her scones are meltingly soft and served warm, the strawberry jam is homemade and just the right side of soft set, and the clotted cream is from the farm up the road. The best bit is that you can buy all of the elements separately from the farm shop as well, in case you would like to take home a little slice of holiday.

1 comment: